SQL Server Performance

Principal Database Transaction log backup

Discussion in 'SQL Server 2005 Database Mirroring' started by chetanjain04, Jul 28, 2007.

1. chetanjain04 Member

Hi,
    I want to know is it necessary to take transaction log backup of principal database in a database mirroring. Although I know that the database should be in full recovery for database mirroring? but can we avoid taking backup of tran log and truncate it. I know its risky but still wanna know if mirroring still works with that? and what could be the repurcussions?
    Best Regards,
    Chetan
  2. satya Moderator

Database mirroring transfers transaction log records directly from one server to another and can quickly fail over to the standby server. The transaction log records are placed first in a database's log buffer in memory, and then flushed to disk (or 'hardened') as quickly as possible. In database mirroring, as the principal server writes the principal database's log buffer to disk, it simultaneously sends that block of log records to the mirror instance.
    The principal database must be in the FULL recovery model before you make the database backup to restore to the mirror server. Database mirroring will not work if it must transfer Bulk-logged records in the transaction log.