SQL Server Performance

Prioritising When Disaster Happens

Discussion in 'EditorsBlog' started by shanetasker, Oct 21, 2008.

1. shanetasker New Member

I was driving home tonight after what one radio announcer described was the worst storm in Brisbane in thirty years and was amazed at the amount of chaos that a blackout could cause. Personally, I thought that the radio announcer might have been using some journalistic licence but it was certainly a severe thunderstorm. The Storey Bridge is one of the main bridges from the south of Brisbane into the central business district. Normally, when I drive across the bridge at night it is illuminated in a yellow glow from the lights that run up and down the cantilever; however, due to the power outage, it was in complete darkness, except for a set of orange flashing lights at the end of the bridge.
    At the end of the bridge is a set of traffic lights and an intersection which during peak hour is extremely busy. The orange glow was the traffic lights flashing, a warning that the lights were not functioning and to approach with caution. As I continued driving home, I thought more about the disaster planning that went into the traffic lights. Obviously, it is not practical to keep the lights fully operational when there is a power outage, but enough power is stored in each light to issue a warning signal if there is an issue. This is the same when it comes to disaster planning for severs that you support. Is there really a need for the intranet to be available? Or maybe the reporting solution does not need to be available where as the ERP and Payroll systems do. Do you have different priorities for your severs when it comes to disaster planning?
    - Peter Ward
  2. azghostwriter New Member

"about the disaster planning that went into the traffic lights"I do not wish my life to exist around parables between incidents in life and the unplanned or planned events at work that are unavoidable.I sleep better at night this way.