SQL Server Performance

Problem Uninstalling Clustered Instance - What Am I Missing?

Discussion in 'SQL Server 2005 Clustering' started by DBADave, Dec 10, 2007.

1. DBADave New Member

I am following the 2005 BOL article "How to: Remove a SQL Server 2005 Failover Clustered Instance (Setup)". The process is very simple, but perhaps the documentation is missing some steps. I am receiving the following errors during the uninstall.
    The setup has encountered an unexpected error while Completing Commit. The error is: The cluster resource cannot be moved to another group because other resources are dependent on it.
    If I click OK I receive the error below.
    Failed to set registry settings for server network libraries. The action is SetShilohRoot. The error is 2 (The system cannot find the file specified.)
    Am I supposed to do something to the cluster prior to performing the uninstall?
    Thanks, Dave
  2. simondm New Member

It sounds like you have added another cluster resource that depends on one of the SQL resources. Open up cluster admin and check that no other services or shares etc depend on the sql service/name/ip address. You can see the dependancies when you right click properties in cluster admin.
    Simon
  3. DBADave New Member

Thanks. That makes sense. I'll check.
    Dave
  4. DBADave New Member

The BOL instruction do not appear to be correct. I needed to follow "How to: Manually Uninstall a SQL Server 2005 Failover Cluster" and even that did not work 100%. Various services must be manually uninstalled as well as some cluster resources that were created during the SQL Server installation.
    Does anyone know if setting the registry key SqlCluster=0 is the same as evicting the node?
    Thanks, Dave
  5. satya.sqldba New Member

Dave
    I got exactly the same error as I posted in:
    http://sql-server-performance.com/Community/forums/p/24751/138133.aspx#138133

can you tell me how yours was fixed?

Thanks
    Satya

6. DBADave New Member

Try this.
    1. Follow instructions "How to: Manually Uninstall a SQL Server 2005 Failover Cluster", especially the part about updating the registry
    2. Open Cluster Administrator and remove any SQL Server resources created during the installation process. Some resources may not have been automatically deleted. I believe I needed to remove two that began with "SQL ..."
    3. Remove any resource dependencies you may have created. (You can actually try this step first and then perform either set of instructions for removing a SQL Server 2005 Failover Cluster Instance. In my case I suspect the resource dependecies prevented the uninstall from working.)
    4. Remove any SQL Server components from the primary and secondary node using ADD/REMOVE PROGRAMS. I needed to remove a few components, one of which was Visual Studio related. This was not discovered until I tried to apply SP1 for a second time.
    This worked for me.
    Good luck, Dave
  7. satya.sqldba New Member

Dave
    I did drill down to HKLMSoftwareMicrosoftMicrosoft SQL ServerSQL3Setup and there are 2 entries for it, one says 'Default' and the other says 'SQL Path', so I did a right click on the default and hit modify then enter sqlcluster=0
    Is the above that you were referring to? It didnt work for me, but I will try to do the above along with the other points you have mentioned. let me try that.
    Thanks
    Satya