SQL Server Performance

problem with using AND query

Discussion in 'SQL Server 2005 General Developer Questions' started by sun919, Oct 4, 2006.

1. sun919 New Member

Hi there,
    I ve got a quick question concerning using AND in a query. Basically i want to make a query that patient have miss appoinment during the last 3 months who is male ..
    Well with my query it work fine with date condition but when i added gender condition it give me more answers than previous query which should be opposite :
    i.e. with current query it give john and mary but adding condition gender to this gave me john mary susan alex
    this is my query that i ve written

SELECT Patient.HNID, Patient.HN, Patient.Names, Patient.Surname
    FROM Patient
    EXCEPT Select Patient.HNID,Patient.HN,Patient.Names, Patient.Surname
    FROM INNER Patient JOIN Appointment ON Patient.HNID = Appointment.HNID
    WHERE (Appointment.AppointmentDate Between '20060704' AND '20061004') AND Patient.Gender = 1

please helps
    many thanks
    sun
  2. Roji. P. Thomas New Member

3. Twan New Member

Hi ya,

anything to do with the EXCEPT? the clause you are adding reduces the result set of the EXCEPT and therefore increases the select from Patient

Cheers
    Twan
  4. Madhivanan Moderator

by EXCEPT did you mean not exists?
    Post some sample data and the result you want

Madhivanan

Failing to plan is Planning to fail
  5. sun919 New Member

sample -------- Patient(HNID) .... Name ....... gender....... Another table Appointment ....... Patient HNID ........ Appointment Date
    John............ 1(male)......................................................................(same as John) .......... 15/8/2006
    Alex............ 1....................................................................................................................15/4/2006
    Mary..........2.....................................................................................................................15/9/2006
    Susan............2..................................................................................................................18/11/2006
    This r example of my information for the table
    thanks
    sun
  6. sun919 New Member

what i want in the first round with out gender is John and Mary and with gender = 1 then i want just mary
  7. Adriaan New Member

I'm not (yet) familiar with the EXCEPT syntax (SQL 2005?) but I would guess that you are in fact finding patients with gender <> 1.
  8. Twan New Member

SELECTp.HNID, p.HN, p.Names, p.Surname
    FROMPatient p
    WHEREp.Gender = 1
    EXCEPT
    Select p.HNID,p.HN,p.Names, p.Surname
    FROM Patient INNER JOIN Appointment
    ON p.HNID = a.HNID
    WHERE (a.AppointmentDate Between '20060704' AND '20061004')

ought to work

alertnatively

SELECTp.HNID, p.HN, p.Names, p.Surname
    FROMPatient p
    WHEREp.Gender = 1
    ANDp.HNID not in (selectHNID
    fromAppointment
    whereappointmentdate between '20060704' and '20061004' )

Cheers
    Twan
  9. Roji. P. Thomas New Member

10. sun919 New Member

Thanks u very one, Once i did what Twan suggested, it works