SQL Server Performance

Profiler Result Analysis Please..

Discussion in 'SQL Server 2005 Performance Tuning for DBAs' started by snivas, Oct 21, 2008.

1. snivas Member

Hi all
    Please help in Profiler result What is meaning of Reads and Writes,is it Reading Data and Inserting Data or some thing else.
    Thanks in Advacne
  2. Saurabh Srivastava New Member

From http://www.sqlteam.com/article/examining-sql-server-trace-files
    • Reads. This is the number of logical disk reads in 8KB pages. For example if this number is 85 then SQL Server logically read 5,570,560 bytes of data (85 pages times 8192 bytes per page). Physical disk reads are typically much lower than logical reads as SQL Server typically caches data pages. There's no direct way to find the number of physical reads a query generates. I typically find a fairly strong correlation between logical and physical reads though. If I can reduce the logical reads usuallly the physical reads will fall also. These logical reads also take up memory. Either these data pages are already in memory or they are read into memory. A high logical reads is also a good proxy for the memory usage of a query.
      • Writes. This is the nubmer of logical disk writes in 8KB pages. Logical writes are typically much closer to physical writes. I usually don't look at this number as much.
      I'm not sure about Write explanation in this article as I just confirmed from 2000 and 2005 profiler Trace and both says WRITE is Physical writes performed by the server on behalf of event.