SQL Server Performance

Progress

Discussion in 'Third Party Tools' started by Link, Dec 14, 2005.

1. Link New Member

just had a chance to evaluate a new application. everything is good except the application was developed by using Progress 4GL language and based on Progress database. since I'm the DBA (SQL Server) and people are asking me for my comments on the database. I'm totally new to Progress database. can anyone give some suggestions/comments on Progress?

thanks!
    Link
  2. Luis Martin Moderator

Check:

http://www.xencraft.com/resources/tip-unicode-pro.html

Luis Martin
    SQL-Server-Performance.com

One of the symptoms of an approaching nervous breakdown is the belief that one's work is terribly important
    Bertrand Russell

All postings are provided “AS IS” with no warranties for accuracy.

3. Link New Member

thank Luis.
    anything on the popularity, market share and growth?
    on the other hand, limitations?

Link
  4. druer New Member

From what I rememeber of days when I had to support Progress it had a rather robust 4GL language associated that if I remember correctly was kind of like a VB like language combined with SQL like language as well as well as reporting language features. I worked in an r&d type lab so performance and daily maintenance issues weren't something I was concerened with so I can't comment on that. It has stayed around for a long time like Informix despite the huge popularity of Oracle and SQL Server so my guess is that each must have some type of features that keep customers choosing it. Probably best to check out a Progress forum and ask people why they utilize it instead of Oracle or SQL Server.
  5. Link New Member

thanks Druer.
    I went to DBFORUMs today seeking for threads about Progress. here is an intersting one at:http://www.dbforums.com/t1082508.html

for the 4GL part, we use Powerbuilder for developing many major applications and we are facing the same issue regards to the popularity of the tools. Sybase is a bigger company still failing to promote a pretty good product as Powerbuilder. I don't know how far Progress can go (when we talk to the vendors, he told us Progress is not an OO language.)

Link