SQL Server Performance

QUEST Spotlight changes Recovery Model

Discussion in 'Third Party Tools' started by Fred_sql, May 2, 2006.

1. Fred_sql New Member

Hi,

I've noticed last week a pretty weird situation. QUEST software SPOTLIGHT that i used for monitoring my SQL Server was changing the recovery model of my database from FULL to SIMPLE while my pc was rebooting.....

Does anyone of you has already seen that ?

Do you know what could cause this recovery model change ? a virus ? a bug ?
    I've also tried to trace this change with Profile. It only appear if i do a manual change on the database options, but not when it's changed while my pc restarts....

Any idea ?
  2. Luis Martin Moderator

I use spot many times.
    I don't think that can be doing from spot. First time I notice that.

Luis Martin
    SQL-Server-Performance.com

Although nature commences with reason and ends in experience it is necessary for us to do the opposite, that is to commence with experience and from this to proceed to investigate the reason.
    Leonardo Da Vinci

Nunca esperes el reconocimiento de tus hijos, eso ocurrirá luego de tu muerte

All postings are provided “AS IS” with no warranties for accuracy.

3. Fred_sql New Member

Well, i was quite doubtfull also.... but after uninstalling spotlight from my pc, the problem disappeared......
    Also, what's quite strange is that spotlight installed on another machine was not creating that.. so i'm wondering what could be installed on my machine that could interact with spotlight....

You said that you don't use spotlight many times, are you familiar with another monitoring tool as good (or better) than spotlight ?
  4. cpeck523 New Member

I'm not sure how old this thread is, but you are not alone. We experienced this as well. Spotlight changed the recovery model on us w/o restarting.
    We experienced a very high volume for a very short period of time and we investigated using traditional tools and spotlight. About 2 hours later when the transaction log was due to fire off it failed because of the recovery model.
  5. ChrisFretwell New Member

We also use spotlight (for over 2 years, on multiple servers, multiple sql versions) and have never seen that behaviour.

Perhaps there is some setting somewhere that was overlooked or accidently set because it was poorly named?
    Did it change your user databases or your spotlight database settings?

(Luis said that he used spot many times, no 'not many')

Chris
  6. joechang New Member

i would think that the spotlight db is set to simple recovery because it is non-critical

but consider that during installation, is it clear to the dba whether he is being asked for the spot light repository db or the db he is concerned about,

i have seen many dbs with the spotlight tables, on further inquiry, it turned out the dba accidentially installed spotlight to his main db
  7. sstone New Member

joechang is correct.

If defaults are accepted for the work database, then there are no problems. But if the main database is inadvertently specified as the work database, then simple recovery is set.

The product interface needs to be more foolproof to prevent such a misinterpretation.
  8. reethu New Member

I have found same kind of situation , because i know my database is in full recovery mode , spotlight was ran like 2 min , than later i observed that recovery mode has changed . why i could not figure out, but i can add my vote to above .
  9. satya Moderator

I don't say mis-feature but one of the requirement in the third party tools, so in this case you have to think about deploying such third party tools carefully after a full testing.
    When it comes to database availability should not leave any small option.