SQL Server Performance

Questions on going live with SQL 2008

Discussion in 'SQL Server 2008 Questions [Archive Only - Closed]' started by WingSzeto, Sep 5, 2008.

1. WingSzeto Member

I read about the new features on SQL 2008. It seems mostly are new features oriented. It seems the underlying database engine is the same as SQL 2005. Does anyone agree with this statement? Our shop doesn't use reporting service and analysis service. Here are my questions.
    1. If our web application is running fine on SQL 2005, are there any reasons that it won't work on SQL 2008. I will go through my testing but just want to know if I miss any gotcha on my reading about SQL 2008. Is there anything I need to watch out for?
    2. I know SQL 2008 RTM is just released recently. Does anyone have any insight on when sp1 may be coming out?
    3. If sp1 is not available soon, is SQL 2008 stable enough to go live? I usually prefer sp1 comes out first but if the database engine in SQL 2008 is same as SQL 2005, I may make it an exception.
    wingman
  2. preethi Member

Hi,
    I too agree with you that this time Microsoft concentrated more on the features and getting maximum out from exsiting rather than inventing new things. At the same time, the new features add value to your money. Now you need to decide on:
    1. As you have SQL 2005, whcih is still under mainline support, Why do you want to migrate to 2008. Are you facing any issues? Are you in real need for the features? If not, dont go for it now.
    2. In any product bug free is not guaranteed. Even if you get Sp1, there could be bugs not fixed in sp1, or even iitroduced in sp1. IF you are going to wait for a system which is bug free, you will never get it.
    3. Currently Microsoft says, there are differences you need to consider before migrating. An Upgrade advisor is added in the package. Also, books online has given a lot of information on things work differently between SQl 2005 and SQL 2008. However, with my experiance with migration from SQL 2000 to SQL 2005, I will say that you should not depend completely on Upgrade advisor. You need to migrate in another environment and test it.
  3. Saurabh Srivastava New Member

I agree with preethi on you should not completely dependent on SQL Server Upgrade Advisor. I would suggest you to go to www.scalabilitexperts.com and download free tool SQL Server upgrade assistant which helps you to capture playback and replay on sql server 2008. They have two versions of this tool one is for SQL 2005 and other for SQL Server 2008. You can also run light weight trace with Deprecated events (new trace events in sqL server 2005. Also, Microsoft has added a performance counter known as deprecated features in windows perofrmance monitor) which help you to find code not supported in future versions.