SQL Server Performance

Quiz 2

Discussion in 'The Lighter Side of Being a DBA' started by Luis Martin, May 29, 2008.

1. Luis Martin Moderator

You got 20 buckets in order from 1 to 20. Each bucket is numbered. (As follows: bucket #1, bucket #2, etc)
    All 20 buckets have the same amount of coins.

19 buckets have coins that weight 1 gram each.
    1 bucket have coins that weight 2 grams each.

The 1 gram and the 2 gram coins, look exactly the same.

You got an electronic scale with 1 gram resolution and just one chance to weight.

I which bucket (numbered from 1 to 20) are the 2 gram coins?
  2. jagblue New Member

Hi Louis
    asuming each buccket has atlest 20 coins
    Take
    1 coin from #1
    2 Coin from #2
    3 Coin from #3
    and so On
    and weight all this coin together and lable it as x
    now subtract x - (20*21/2)= y
    and y is the answer

3. Adriaan New Member

I knew this one from an old episode of Columbo, the LA detective. Mrs Columbo solved it - or so he says.
  4. FrankKalis Moderator

[quote user="Adriaan"]
    I knew this one from an old episode of Columbo, the LA detective. Mrs Columbo solved it - or so he says.
    [/quote]
    Did Mrs. Columbo actually ever had an appearance?
  5. Adriaan New Member

No, that's one of the running gags.
    According to one website "Detective Columbo would often talk about his wife but she never actually turned up in the movies. In 1979, NBC decided to start a mystery show starring Kate Mulgrew. In an attempt to grab some of Columbo's audience, they made Kate Mulgrew's character, who was also named Kate, Columbo's long unseen wife. They called the show Mrs. Columbo and then changed it to Kate Columbo. Apparently the tie in didn't work because next the Columbo angle was ditched altogether. Kate became Kate Callahan and the show became Kate The Detective and then Kate Loves A Mystery. Then it became cancelled. "
  6. FrankKalis Moderator

7. Adriaan New Member

For the die-hard nerds among us, Kate Melgrew also played Captain Kathryn Janeway in the Star Trek Voyager series.
  8. Luis Martin Moderator

I'll try to be more creative next time.[:)]