SQL Server Performance

Raid5 Performance thought

Discussion in 'SQL Server 2005 Performance Tuning for Hardware' started by avipenina, Aug 16, 2007.

1. avipenina New Member

Hi,
    i just want to clear some thought out.
    assuming that i have Raid5(3 disk 75GB each ) and i create 2 partitions if i split my database on those 2 partitions should i fill improvements in the performance or it will be just like put all databases on my one big Raid5 no need to partition them?
  2. Luis Martin Moderator

I think you don't need partitions at all with R5.
    But I use to work with R10, so wait for other members opinions.
  3. satya Moderator

What type of usage you have OLTP or OLAP?
    Also what is the growth of database in next 3 years?
    Based on that you could set the partition by splitting the database or seperating indexes & data differently.
  4. avipenina New Member

Hi,
    my question is only in the physical thought is there any different by splitting Raid5 disk into partitions or is it the as i can use this Raid5 as one partition.
    should i notice any performance improvements if i split this Raid5 into 2 partition?
    logic i should not see any improvements because it's on the same Radi5 and not partition on another Raid5. am i right?
  5. martins New Member

Yip, you are right. You will see no improvement by splitting the Raid5 into 2 partitions, so if there are no business reasons to do it then it isn't neccessary at all.