SQL Server Performance

Real Time Monitoring Tools - Worth the money?

Discussion in 'Third Party Tools' started by DBADave, Nov 8, 2005.

1. DBADave New Member

It's budget time and I'm trying to determine what tools to purchase in 2006.

Have you found it beneficial to have a real time monitoring tool such as SQL Diagnostic Manager (SQLdm) by Idera or Spotlight from Quest Software? I've traditionally used Perfmon for monitoring SQL Servers over a period of time, but was curious if a real time monitoring tool would be worth the money. I have a new employer, where I am the only DBA supporting over 50 production SQL Servers and 6 development servers. It will take some time before I can implement various scripts to alert me of hardware or SQL Server performance issues so I'm hoping a tool or two can help, at least with our more critical servers.

I'm also looking into purchasing SQLCompare, by Red-Gate, and LiteSpeed, by Quest. Litespeed would only be used initially on one server, where the backup is 200GB. Any thoughts on these tools would be helpful.

Thanks, Dave
  2. Luis Martin Moderator

Diagnostic Manager is a very good tool to have history information. I can see what appends from one year to now.
    Spotligth is real time monitor. Is nice (like a NASA movie) and with good features like: what indexes are in memory.

I don't now LiteSpeed. Red Gate is great. I used a lot.

Luis Martin
    SQL-Server-Performance.com

One of the symptoms of an approaching nervous breakdown is the belief that one's work is terribly important
    Bertrand Russell

All postings are provided “AS IS” with no warranties for accuracy.

3. DBADave New Member

You say Diagnostic Manager is good for history information, but Idera's web site advertises it as "real-time" monitoring. Are you indicating it does both?

I'm dowloading Diagnostic Manager as I type this response. Does it do more then Spotlight? I had assumed it was the same type of tool with some more features.

Dave
  4. Luis Martin Moderator

Diagnostic is a real time tool, but the default setting is each 30 seconds and the best is that keep information for years.
    You can see what goin on in the last, said 8 hours, with one bar each hour. Also by week, month or years.

Spotlight don't keep information for more than one day.

In conclusion:

Diagnostic: For history.
    Spotlight : For real time.

Luis Martin

One of the symptoms of an approaching nervous breakdown is the belief that one's work is terribly important
    Bertrand Russell

5. DBADave New Member

I know I can find out from the vendor or from reading their documentation, but I was hoping you could save me some time by telling me how it retains the data. Is it stored in a flat file on the machine running the software? If so, can the file grow rather large?

Also, would you say Diagnostic monitors the same counters as Spotlight?

Thanks for the help Luis.

Dave
  6. Luis Martin Moderator

Diagnostic manager run as a service in any PC. Does not create any table, sp or view in SQL Production.
    All data is store in that PC and for a year could need about 300MB. Also you can manage more than on server, and still nothing is store in main box.

The information is store in files with extention "sps". I never try to open with other tool than Diagnostic.

Spotlight also run from PC, but create a lot of tables, sp, etc. in main server. So I used to create a new database to run Spotlight. Depending on what do you want to see, could consume few resources or medium resources.

HTH

Luis Martin

Bertrand Russell

7. johnson_ef Member

yes As Luis Martin said,
    I am very much impressed with the performance of "Diagnostic manager".

Fantastic tool to be. Best part is no overhead with the production server, if you closly watch, one process thread will be showing , thats it. Even the evaluation version gives 15 server support.

-Johnson
  8. DBADave New Member

I think I'm sold. So far I've found nothing bad about the product.

Thanks, Dave