SQL Server Performance

rebuild index job setting

Discussion in 'SQL Server 2005 General DBA Questions' started by Trev256b, Jul 10, 2011.

1. Trev256b Member

if i select the setting 'sort results in tempdb' for a rebuild index step in a maintenance plan - what does this do?
  2. Luis Martin Moderator

Did you try BOL for a change...?
    "When you create or rebuild an index, by setting the SORT_IN_TEMPDB option to ON you can direct the SQL Server 2005 Database Engine to use tempdb to store the intermediate sort results that are used to build the index. Although this option increases the amount of temporary disk space that is used to create an index, the option could reduce the time that is required to create or rebuild an index when tempdb is on a set of disks different from that of the user database. For more information about tempdb, see tempdb Database."
  3. Trev256b Member

thanks - i entered a quick question about the maint job error and added this one too. see my other message for the error - i've found a suggestion to reregister 2 dlls - but not sure - what is the rollback for reregistering dlls? as this is a production server - can't affrod to take this server down.
  4. satya Moderator

what are those dlls?