SQL Server Performance

Rebuilding or re-organising indexes online

Discussion in 'ALL SQL SERVER QUESTIONS' started by Trev256b, Jul 4, 2013.

1. Trev256b Member

1) Is it impossible to rebuild indexes online with SQL Server 2008 R2 STANDARD edition?
    2) Can you re-organise indexes online instead?
  2. Luis Martin Moderator

3. Trev256b Member

hi luis - i looked this up already and it says it is impossible. i am only asking to get a second opinion. if u can't answer then that's ok. however - as nobody has answered i will have to state it is impossible. please correct this if it is wrong - but according to your friend google it is impossible. ok? so to summarise - it is impossible to rebuild indexes online with sql server 2008 r2 standard edition. and - although google or msdn do not specifically state it is possible to re-organise indexes online it is an option that can be run in standard edition. therefore google, msdn and luis have not been able to answer this question 100% but at least hopefully other people can learn from this. good luck - my advice is to test this if the documentation or other dbas can't answer these sort of questions. good luck.
  4. FrankKalis Moderator

Well... How much clearer as this http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms177442(v=sql.105).aspx do you want it to be stated?

I'm not sure if I understand you correctly, but if you think MSDN, Google and Luis have not been able to answer your question to your full satisfaction, then why don't you grab a test system in your environment and just try it out yourself? Worst thing that can happen is, that you find out that it is indeed not supported. But who knows? Maybe you find out during your testing, that MSDN is wrong?
  5. Trev256b Member

It's cool Frank - perhaps I confused the situation by asking two separate questions. All three sometimes assume something works if not stated it doesn't - so that's cool. I managed to double check point 2) by testing as nobody gave a quick yes/no and I couldn't be sure 100% off the top of my head. To clarify, the answers to my questions are 1) yes, 2) yes. That's all I was looking for. :) It is just a question of asking a question. If somebody wants to be cheeky and not answer the question then that's cool. I appreciate when people have genuine advice which provide additional insight - and ask questions to clarify if they don't understand the question. Let's all remember one way to communicate is talking rather than just reading the internet! A lot of what is written on the internet is written by humans and a lot has mistakes and omissions. I have learnt a lot of details on the forums from technical DBAs where they offer deeper insights which you can't find on the internet so I like to double check things and learn things to a high level of detail if possible. Thanks again for your contribution.
  6. Luis Martin Moderator

1) Is it impossible to rebuild indexes online with SQL Server 2008 R2 STANDARD edition?
    ....to my questions are 1) yes
    From Frank's link:
    Online index operations are available only in SQL Server Enterprise, Developer, and Evaluation editions.

Hope That Help
  7. Trev256b Member