SQL Server Performance

Recommended Tools

Discussion in 'Third Party Tools' started by Ricci, Jun 3, 2003.

1. Ricci New Member

I am looking to buy some sql server monitoring/troubleshooting tools for servers on multiple sites in multiple countries.

I am currently evaluation NetIQ SQL Diagnostics which looks ok but I am having a few probs with it..

Anyway, what (if any) are the standard tool set that people use for proactive monitoring of SQL Server, excluding perfmon,profiler etc. [?]
  2. gaurav_bindlish New Member

3. vbkenya New Member

4. mipmip New Member

Using Quest Spotlight for SQL Server since two months.
    The main advantage for me is that you can see all information on one screen.
    In case of invesitgating problems Spotlight provides the information i need.

Another feature is that you can check the OS witht Spotlight on Windows.

Brgds...MipMip

5. satya Moderator

Another great tool too in the scene of monitoring the SQL server.

_________
    Satya SKJ
    SQL-Server-Performance.Com
  6. ykchakri New Member

What kind of problems you have with NetIQ ? Though rarely used, I like NetIQ SQLCheck for it's neat interface.
  7. satya Moderator

I think every other third party tool has got its own importance/advantages which are suitable to a specific environment.

_________
    Satya SKJ
    SQL-Server-Performance.Com
  8. ChrisFretwell New Member

Like mipmip, we recently started using spotlight on sql (by quest). We've found it to be a great tool so far (and you can almost get hypnotized watching it). We're still learning and tuning the assorted options, but so far its been really good. The overhead doesnt seem to be high. And all it takes is a quick glance to identify a protential problem.

Chris
  9. biged123456 New Member

Has anyone used both Spotlight and Insight that can compare the two? We basically have a large number of SQL servers and need a tool to help us diagnose resource utilization problems. Typically, we log and analyze performance counters to narrow the scope (isolate it to disk, CPU, memory). Then we usually run profiler to capture a data sample, run index tuning against this data to see if any index improvements exist and then pull the most resource intensive queries from the trace using scripts. It is quite a tedious process just to gather all this data before the analysis can even begin. It looks like both Spotlight and Insight can help with the gathering part and maybe even some analysis. Any input would be greatly appreciated.
  10. vladimir_sim New Member

Hi,

After installing spotlight evaluation copy to test my development
    server, how do I go about using it and helping me ?

Anyone who have use it, pls kindly advise and help
    me how to go about using it. I can install but
    don't seem any locking/blocking session, it appear
    for a while, then disappear.

Thank you
  11. Luis Martin Moderator

Please next time open a new post. The last post was on 2003.

Spotlight is a real time monitor.

Default time to check server is between 20 and 30 seconds, but you can change that.

So if you see any lock, when you try to drill locks, is possible there is no lock at all because it was too short. But you can see history and find it.

When some counter is red (also you can configure that) for some time, you can find why using drill.

Luis Martin
    SQL-Server-Performance.com

One of the symptoms of an approaching nervous breakdown is the belief that one's work is terribly important
    Bertrand Russell

All postings are provided “AS IS” with no warranties for accuracy.