SQL Server Performance

Register Server... this should be so easy

Discussion in 'Analysis Services/Data Warehousing' started by HankWalters, Jun 23, 2005.

1. HankWalters New Member

I am trying to register an Analysis Server in Analysis Manager on my computer and I get this message in a messge box:
    -------------------------------------------
    Errors occurred while connecting to gbpdbs.
    Cannot connect to the repository.

Analysis server: gbpdbs

Error:
    Could not use "; file already in use.
    Do you still want to register this server?

-YES- -NO-
    -------------------------------------------
    I am in the OLAP Administrators group on the local computer and the remote server. The MSSQLServerOLAPService service is running on both computers. C:program FilesMicrosoft Analysis ServicesBinmsmdrep.mdb exists on the remote computer. Analysis Services on both computers is Version 8.0.760 (SQL Server 2000, SP3).

I have another Analysis Server registered on the local computer but it is a SQL Server 7 version. I tried to unregistered it (gbpbdc) and then register the gbpdbs but that did not help.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    HW
  2. HankWalters New Member

I found the answer. The problem was that the OLAP Administrators group on the remote server did not have full access to the C:program FilesMicrosoft Analysis ServicesBin directory. This was causing me to be unable to access the OLAP repository, which is a MS Access db, on that machine.

After I got the system admin to give the OLAP Administrators group full access to that directory (which involved begging, bribes, and finally blackmail) I was able to register the analysis server.

Hope this can help others somewhere down the line.

HW