SQL Server Performance

reindex Vs update stats

Discussion in 'SQL Server 2005 General DBA Questions' started by priyaram, Jun 9, 2009.

1. priyaram New Member

In all of our production servers, we are having an practice of Reindexing all the tables one in week on sunday and updateing the statistics daily.
    And also we are having auto create and auto update stats on in our database options.
    Is this a good practice ?shall we can run update stats daily for performance and reindex once in a week...??
    i went thru' various links and docs , but i am not able to get any clear info.
    thanks
  2. MohammedU New Member

3. deepakontheweb New Member

as an alternative, you can try below combo ;-0- Weekly DBReindex & Intigrity Check- Mon/Wed/Fri - UpdateStats- Tue/Thu/Sat - Index defrag (script from: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms177571.aspx )This is an aggressive strategy for databases having a lot insert/update/delete activity compared to just Reads.
  4. satya Moderator

Are you reindexing all the indexes on the database?
    I hope its not a good practice when the system is 24/7 or very heavily used on that perspective, rather you could identify the tables which requires the defragmentation methods and then follow the maintenance practices that are outlined.
  5. priyaram New Member

we are reindexing only the specific tables not all.And update stats on entire database.
    Is this a good practice?
  6. ndinakar Member

I think the setup you have is good. Are you seeing any performance issues? There is no rule of thumb or guideline as such. It depends on your data, your workload, your business requirements etc. The schedule you have seems to be good enough. Unless you are seeing perf issues, I wouldnt worry about the maintenance schedule.