SQL Server Performance

Reinstalling SQL 2008 standard after uninstalling SQL 2008 trial version

Discussion in 'SQL Server 2008 Questions [Archive Only - Closed]' started by WingSzeto, Dec 15, 2008.

1. WingSzeto Member

I have been testing two-node clustering with SQL 2008 64 bit trial version on the newly purchased hardware and am ready to install the legal copy of SQL 2008 standard 64 bit edition.
    I removed the trial version by using the feature came with the SQL setup program. Once the uninstall is done, I noticed that the 'Microsoft SQL Server' folder still exists in the "Program Files' folder in my C drive and there are a few folders inside. From the 'startAll Programs' menu, I can see SQL management tool, intergration service, configuration tools, etc still available. Is this ok that the trial verion files still exist? Or should I remove them before I install our legal version of SQL 2008? If so, how do I do that?
    Anyway, I ran the installation of our legal vesrion of SQL 2008 to see what features I can install. as it turns out, the only features I can click on the check box areDatabase engine and Full text Search Engine but the rest of shared features (i.e. integration service, configuration tool, etc) are all gray out. So I assume the setup program detected the programs existed already and won't touch it. Here is my concern, SQL 2008 trial version is the enterprise version and we are installing the standard version and I am just wondering if it will cause me problem later if I don't clean the SQL 2008 trial version first before my real installation.
    Any advice on this is very much appreicated.
    wingman
  2. satya Moderator

In my case what I have done is removed everything that relates to CTP version of SQL 2008, then successfully installed the standard edition without any hitch.
  3. WingSzeto Member

I forgot to mention that we are using Windows 2008 64 bit version.
    Sayta, the way that you removed everything, is it including manually deleting the MS SQL server folder and the registry entry? When I deleted the MS SQL folder and run the setup, after I clicked 'next' on the 'install support files' window, the setup quits. It didn't get to the next screen which should be the verfiication step. If I moved the MS SQL server folder back, then the setup behaves and goes through all the steps. I haven't tried removing all the MS SQL server registry entries yet. Is it the problem?
    Wingman
  4. satya Moderator

Yes I did removed everything in terms of SQL 2008 CTP related, in your case if the setup goes on without any issues then you shouldn't worry about registry keys.
    In any case better to review the setup log file for more information.
  5. preethi Member

Can you check on add remove programs in control panel to see whether the shared services are there and if so, try unintalling the shared services?