SQL Server Performance

Remote ODBC

Discussion in 'SQL Server Clustering' started by mikel4538, Oct 26, 2006.

1. mikel4538 New Member

I am unable to create an ODBC connect from my Windows XP machine to the SQL server on a windows 2000 machine. What am I doing wrong?
  2. satya Moderator

What do you mean unable to create, are you getting any error?

Satya SKJ
    Microsoft SQL Server MVP
    Contributing Editor & Forums Moderator
    http://www.SQL-Server-Performance.Com
    This posting is provided AS IS with no rights for the sake of knowledge sharing.
  3. mikel4538 New Member

I have 2 remote PC's that have MSSQL. ONe has version 8 and the other version 9. I can create a SYSTEM DSN and connect to the Version 8 server without a problem. I use the server name 192.9.200.31 and it works. Itry the same thing with the version 9 server and I get a connect failure message. I'm sure it has something to do with how the servoer is configured but they both look the same to me. There must be something I am overlooking when I configured the version 9 server. The error message that comes out is "Connection Failed: SQLSTATE '01000' SQL Server Error: 11001 [Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver][TCP/IP Sockets]ConnectionOpen (Connect()). Connection failed; SQLSTATE '08001' SQLState: '08001' SQL Server Error: 6 [Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver][TCP/IP Sockets] Specified SQL server not found
  4. Adriaan New Member

If you have both instances running on the same hardware, then one of them must have an instance name other than the computer name, I would think.
  5. mikel4538 New Member

I don't have both on the same computer. I have MSSQL version 8 on one computer (loacal internet - works OK) and MSSQL version 9 on another computer (VPN - doesn't work). I can ping the version 9 computer and remte desktop to it but I cannot get the ODBC for MSSQL to connect
  6. Adriaan New Member

Is the 9 one listening perhaps on a different port for TCP/IP?

Check the server settings / ask someone to do it for you.