SQL Server Performance

Replaced by a Mechanical Arm

Discussion in 'EditorsBlog' started by shanetasker, Oct 16, 2008.

1. shanetasker New Member

I had an early flight to Perth this morning and while in the taxi on the way to the airport I was stuck behind a rubbish truck that was emptying the garbage bins for several blocks. The bins were being automatically emptied using a mechanical arm that picks up each bin and deposits the contents in the truck. I do not consider myself old, but I can remember back to when I was a child when there would be a team of staff that would run behind the truck picking up each bin manually. It was even a tradition at Christmas time to leave a six-pack of beer on the top of the garbage bin to say thanks to the 'garbo'.
    As with many industries, emptying garbage is not immune to technology replacing a manual job with an automated process. The interesting thing is that despite the current economic turmoil unemployment levels are very low despite jobs continually being replaced by automation. If you look at where most jobs are now being created they are typically in a role that could be classified as a Knowledge Worker. At the most basic level a Knowledge Worker is someone that provides value-add to a business. So is your role going to be replaced by a mechanical arm one day, or are you providing significant value-add to your organisation?
    - Peter Ward