SQL Server Performance

Replication Database Attach and detach

Discussion in 'SQL Server 2005 Replication' started by rayala.thulasi, Jul 5, 2010.

1. rayala.thulasi New Member

Dear All.
    We have Production databases implemented with Replication process in place. At present we are planning to move the log files from one drive to another drive. During the this process we are going to follow the dettach and attach method. Here i have a query related to replication , while detaching the Databases the replication process will be have impact or not? Can we move the log files from one drive to another drive with out distrubing the replication process?
  2. satya Moderator

It is not possible to connect to database while you detach & attach the database files, so in order to accomplish this you must stop the replication and reinstate once the move process is completed.
  3. rayala.thulasi New Member

Thanks satya.
  4. alent1234 New Member

few years ago i did this. i had to move a replicated database and didn't want to reinitialize replication. i forced a detach by dropping all connections. had to do it a few times. moved the files and attached it. replication started flowing again and didn't cause any issues
  5. satya Moderator

True it will not disturb replication to some extent, but it is a good practice to reinstate a fresh once you change location of DB files.