SQL Server Performance

Replication from DB2 to SQL Server 2005

Discussion in 'SQL Server 2005 Replication' started by tariq745, Aug 17, 2007.

1. tariq745 Member

I have to replicate data from IBM DB2 on AS/400 to SQL Server 2005. Is that doable? Currently we are replicating data from DB2 to SQL Server 2000 through Data mirror and like to stop using Data Mirror after switching to SQL Server 2005. I read a little about db2 replication but could not find a good article which tells me how I can even link db2 to SQL Server 2005. I am pretty sure some of you guys are doing replication from db2 to SQL server 2005. Any help would be appreciated.Thanks,TA
  2. ghemant Moderator

3. MohammedU New Member

I don't think you can directly replication from db2 to sql server 2005 as oracle to sql 2005... you may need to use third party tools like http://www.starquest.com/ etc as hemant suggested...
  4. satya Moderator

5. tariq745 Member

I already installed the native DB2 drivers. Now I have to get some info from DB2 DBA. And have to explanin him what every information means becasue SQL 2005 needs Initial catalog which is RDBNAM in DB2.
  6. satya Moderator

7. tariq745 Member

Ok guys I am connected to DB2. I can query the db2 tables and see its data. Now the question is do I have to install something else to see DB2 database as a publisher because when I try to setup replication from SQL server 2005 obviously it does not show me the db2 db so How can I see DB2 db as publisher? Where I will setup distributor db on db2 (publisher) or SQL server (subscriber) side?
    Thanks
  8. satya Moderator

Have you followed the above MSDN link, that was mentioned there about drivers and applic ation you need on SQL Server in this case.
  9. tariq745 Member

Sorry Satya even after reading the article 2nd time. I did not understand how to configure publisher on AS400/DB2. Article does talk about configuring the subscriber on non SQL Server DB's but it does not talk about setting up publisher on the non SQL Server side (like AS400/DB2). Can you give me a hint?
  10. weichunglow New Member

Dear Tariq,
    Default publisher come with sql server 2005 is only for Oracle. You need to purchase the IBM product to do the replication from db2 to sql server.
    Or do you have any other methods for this, as we are also currently looking for the same thing.
    Thanks
    Wei Chung
  11. satya Moderator

Have you referred to the above link?
    You need DB2 Informaiton Integrator nstalled on your Windows box. refer to the IBM site.
  12. weichunglow New Member

Dear Satya,
    Besides the db2 information integrator, or other third party tool like StarQuest. Seems like that's no other way to achieve that?
  13. satya Moderator

Yes the third party tool starquest is suitable here and if you want to achieve without using third party tools then that integrator is a must.
  14. thisisnaveen New Member

Hi
    I am also in the boat as you to replicate data from DB2 on AS400 to SQLServer. I will be very thankful for your guidelines as you already done a lot of research on this.
    thanks in advace for your support.
    Naveen