SQL Server Performance

Replication Question bandwidth + SQL 2000

Discussion in 'SQL Server 2005 Replication' started by Akthar, Nov 18, 2008.

1. Akthar New Member

Hi Guys,
    i have 2 questions:
    1. is is possible to replicate between SQL Server 2000 and SQL Server 2005 on a very LOW BANDWIDTH
    2.Which replication METHOD SHOULD I USE ON VERY LOW BANDWIDTH
  2. satya Moderator

What kind of transactions rate you have on this database?
    When you say low bandwidth what is the maximum rate of transfer you can sustain>?
  3. Akthar New Member

hi Satya,
    Well Its not really a transaction Database, its mainly a reporting database. The are some DTS that populate this DB for reporting purposes. Now we want to replicate this database to another Site in another country. Our problem is that in Mauritius the ADSL is very low, 512 KBPS, and the destination country is even worst about 128 kbps.
    i have tried ,DTS ...timeout...
    Now i am looking forward to test with replication, what do you think?
  4. Akthar New Member

hi guys,
    any advice on the above
    thanks
    akthar
  5. satya Moderator

Yes it is possible to perform the replication as long as the CONNECTIVITY between the sites is consistent and no dropping when the snapshot is generated and applied.
    In this case I would ask you to calculate the size of transaction that is generated when within your test platform, also take into account of the network bandwidth of those sites.
  6. mwright78731 New Member

Hi Akthar,
    You may want to look into NitroAccelerator for SQL Server (formerly SQL Nitro) if you're using replication on very low bandwidth. NitroAccelerator compresses network traffic from server to server or server to client, resulting in up to 95% performance improvement. NitroAccelerator has made replication possible in environments where it previously was not an option due to bandwidth constraints. You can go to www.nitrosphere.net for more info.
    Mark