SQL Server Performance

Report Designer set-up

Discussion in 'Getting Started' started by acarrick, Dec 28, 2007.

1. acarrick New Member

I have SQL Server 2005 Express on a stand-alone PC as a test-bed server, and am also trying to run Report Designer on the same PC. Question is how do I tell the Designer program to look for the PC as its server? When I try and create a Shared Database, the wizard only gives me the options of our network servers, which don't have SQL.
    I wondered if something like "localhost" would allow it to connect but it doesn't. Any ideas please?
  2. satya Moderator

3. acarrick New Member

I have the toolkit, thanks. How do I ensure the SQL Server service is up and running?
    I have pasted below a screen shot of the window I am seeing. Not sure if you can see this image though?
  4. satya Moderator

I can't see any picture on the post, may be you need to paste it again.
    Also to see whether SQL server service is started or not you can try connecting to that instance or goto Administrative tools --> Services and look for SQL SErver based services state.
  5. acarrick New Member

I checked Services and this is running. I still can't paste the screenshot, I think it would help to explain my problem. Is it possible to upload a .doc or .rtf file?
  6. satya Moderator

May be if you have any webspace upload that picture and link it here.
    Also try to explain the causes.
  7. acarrick New Member

I have attached the word doc as a link to www.acarrick.karoo.net
    I am trying to start up Report Designer (first time user) but cannot persuade the program to see the PC it is on as the server.
  8. satya Moderator

9. acarrick New Member

Micrsoft Visual error - "error has occurred while establishing a connection to the server. Error 40".
    The links you gave suggest creating Data Source as type "Report Server Model". I tried this and got same problem.
  10. acarrick New Member

Turns out I needed SQL Server Browser service starting.