SQL Server Performance

Reporting not pulling all details

Discussion in 'SQL Server 2008 Reporting Services' started by wexy, Jun 4, 2009.

1. wexy New Member

Hi Lads I have taken over management of a intranet service for logging call in the form of incidents. ON the forum used, it was required to change the drop down lists, ie, no new fields were created or old deleted, just existing dropdown lists edited. This program feeds into a Data base from which SQL reports are pulled. We believe as a result of the changes, it not pulling all info, thus the number of calls being pulled are near 50% off of calls recieved. I do not have any experiance using SQL databases or reporting. Can you advise a method of viewing what information a report is pulling and how to edit, thanks. I'd appriciate and thoughts or suggestions. Wexy
  2. FrankKalis Moderator

Welcome to the forum!
    Might be easiest to achive when you use the SQL Server Profiler. you can find that under Start->All programm->SQL Server 2005->Performance Tools.
    Connect to the SQL Server instance you want to trace and create a new trace in which you select to trace the RPC:Completed and the SQL:BatchCompleted event. You can find both on the Events Selection tab of the Trace properties dialog. Uncheck all other Events, you don't need them and you don't want to stress the server more than necessary.
    Next check the "Show all columns" box and click on "Column Filters..." Highlight the "DatabaseName entry from the list on the left and specify as filter condition in the Like section %your database name%. Then press Enter.
    Click the "Run" button and the trace will start. Now you can open the report and at the same time you see in the TextData column of the trace which command actually gets executed against the database. This you can use as a starting point for further investigations.
    HTH.