SQL Server Performance

Reporting Server Log Files

Discussion in 'SQL Server 2008 Reporting Services' started by Unsure, Aug 10, 2011.

1. Unsure New Member

How do I change the location of the Reporting Server log files?

By default they are created on (our server) C:\Microsoft SQL Server\<SQL Server Instance>\Reporting Services\LogFiles. i need to move them to drive D:\
    Thank you.
  2. satya Moderator

Welcome to the forums.

You can use the SSRS config file under %Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL.1\Reporting Services\ReportServer\bin\ReportingServicesService.exe.config and add the value for Direcotry.
  3. Unsure New Member

Satya,

Thank you for replying.

I did add the Directory value to ReportingServicesService.exe.config file. I then restarted Reporting Services, however, the log files are still going to C:\. The directory on D:\ has relevant access.

Using SQL SERVER 2008 R2.

Thanks.
  4. satya Moderator

5. Unsure New Member

I did that too. Did not work.

Maybe an issue witn our permissions. I am able to create a file in the relevant log folder on D:\. using the Reporting services service account so I don't see an issue there. The service account is a domain account that has all the relevant permissions. I even explicitly added it to the Local Administrators group on the box.

I will try it again when I can get schedule downtime and see how it goes. Will update this post.

Thanks again for your replies.
  6. satya Moderator

Ok, the permissions for the service account is the last resort you must check and ensure to have necessary WRITE permissions on the specified drives/folders when the account is not a part of local admin group as of Enterprise security policies.
  7. Unsure New Member

Satya,

The SQL Server Service Account has write permissons to the folder. I tried it againafter confirming the permission but still did not work. In fact I create another folder and granted it permission but the logs are still being written to c:\.

Thanks.
  8. satya Moderator

Did you check any local group policies on the server restricting the access to specific folders. By all means the specified method above can enable the change of SSRS logging with a restart of Services.

Also you must ensure to specify the permissions for the SSRS account that is used on the server.
  9. Unsure New Member

No restrictions on the server.

The SSRS account has rights to the folder. I even made sure by logging in with the SSRS account and creating a file with the folder.
  10. satya Moderator

Is it possible to post screenshots here by masking confidential details?
  11. Unsure New Member

A screen shot of the reportingservicesservice.exe.config file.?

The only modification I have is added this line " <add name="Directory" value="D:\SSRSlogfiles" />" in the <RStrace> section.
  12. Unsure New Member

Satya,

Microsoft said with SQL Server 2008 and SQL Server 2008 R2 Reporting Services, you cannot change the location of the logfiles. It can be done with SQL Server 2005 Reporting Services using the " <add name="Directory" value="Directory\path" />" in the <RStrace> section. But this is not applicable to SQL Server 2008 and SQL Server 2008 Reporting services..

Thanks for your replies.