SQL Server Performance

Reporting servers web farm

Discussion in 'SQL Server 2005 Clustering' started by SQLSpeck, Jun 9, 2009.

1. SQLSpeck New Member

Hi,
    Instead of using NLB web farm to house the reporting service (IIS and ASP.NET) and keeping the Reporting databases on a cluster, the following article explains Clustering of SSRS by having both Reporting servers (IIS and ASP.NET) and the databases on the same cluster. But the process explained is for ActivePassive configuration
    http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Administration/clusteringreportingservices/2398/
    Could anyone tell me whether this also works for ActiveActive configuration also because I don’t have any test environment to test this approach? Have anyone tried this approach for the ActiveActive cluster?
    In the article it was not clearly mentioned about when does the “Report Server Web farm screen” appears. It was mentioned that “upon pointing the reporting databases to the clustered SQL Server, the Web Farm Setup screen appears”. But during the installation of SSRS we don’t point the databases to the already existing SSRS databases. We do that during the configuring of SSRS, using the Reporting Services Configuration tool. So is it during this configuration that we get that screen? Am I correct?
    Thanks,
    Yours
    SQLSpeck
  2. satya Moderator

WElcome to the forums.
    As you have read technet, SSRS supports a scaled-out deployment model, does not mean Report Server or Report Manager are cluster-aware. SSRS is the combination and it is the SSRS database that can be deployed on a clustered SS instance. I believe it shouldnot be no difference for Active/Active environment where you have to follow what is referred for active node.
  3. SQLSpeck New Member

Hi Satya, Thank you very much for your help. I really appreciate it.Could you please clarify some more doubts of mine? Actually, we finally decided to put Reporting services on a NLB web farm and the SSRS databases on the actual cluster. So if we create a Reporting servers Web farm on NLB, can we get the HA for the SSRS i.e. if one of the node in the SSRS webfarn fails, can we still run the same Report server on the other nodes? Also all the nodes in the webfarm acts as a single instance of SSRS and they only have a single IIS and a single website for SSRS. Am I correct?
    Thanks,
    Yours
    SQLSpeck.