SQL Server Performance

Restore of DB

Discussion in 'General DBA Questions' started by sns_subash2002@yahoo.com, Jan 11, 2010.

1. Hi,
    Can we restore Database backup from Developer Edition of SQL Server 2005 to Enterprise Edition of SQL Server 2005.

Can you responed me ASAP.
    Thanks,
    Srinivas Sista
  2. Luis Martin Moderator

3. Hi,
    I mean Database migration i.e side by side or upgrade.
    Thanks for your reply.

Thanks,
    Srinivas Sista
  4. Luis Martin Moderator

If you backup any user database with sql 2005 workgroup, standard, enterprise or developer you can restore in any sql 2005 version.
    The differences between versions apply about capabilities like: replication, amount of memory, some tools etc.
    Now, you wrote a question in sql 7, 2000 forums but about sql 2005. So, can you developer what is your real situation?.
    Thanks,
  5. ghemant Moderator

If you are asking about the Migration, I would suggest to go for side-by-side that would be safer way.
  6. satya Moderator

Your best bet is to BACKUP & RESTORE than go by UPGRADE option, in addition to this make sure to script logins & SSIS packages too.
  7. moh_hassan20 New Member

Be sure that data of the development is the the last version of the user data , otherwise you will overwrite the old data.
  8. Luis Martin Moderator

About you ASAP question, did you resolve the problem?
  9. Hi,
    No Still struglling, actaully I am installing SQL Server 2005 EE with backwards compatability so that I can restore this SQL Server2000 backup on this new instance.

But while installing I got an message which is prompted as " An installtion package for the product MS backwards compatability will not be found. Try installation again using valid copy of Installtion package sqlserver2005_bc.msi.
    Can you tell me what should I do?
    Quick help is appricated.

Thanks,
    Srinivas Sista
  10. Adding to my presvious help i have sql server 2005 developer edtion with out any service pach.
    THanks
    Srinivas Sista
  11. Luis Martin Moderator

Download Windows installer cleanup utility and uninstall completely. Refer these links for more information, http://support.microsoft.com/kb/909967
    After that install sql from a fresh copy.
  12. Hi,
    Below is the exc that needs to be run to have the backward complatabilty.
    SQLServer2005_BC.msi
    THank you,
    Srinivas Sista