SQL Server Performance

Restoring Distribution Database

Discussion in 'SQL Server 2005 Replication' started by ramkumar.mu, Feb 1, 2011.

1. ramkumar.mu New Member

I Have setup a remote distributor for my replication setup with the Backup with Sync option enabled. I am taking full backup of distribution db once a day and Tlog Backups once every hour. Same backup policy is applied in Subscriber for the Subscription database. Also i have set the minumum dist retention period as 25 hours on distribution db.
    If my distributor server goes down, what are the steps for recovering my distribution db? As per my knowledge, we'll have to restore the distribution db with the available backup files. But how will i let my Publisher know that distribution server name has changed?
  2. ghemant Moderator

Ram,
    IMO you will have to use sp_adddistpublisher, sp_adddistributiondb and sp_adddistributor system stored procedure to keep it functioning .
  3. ramkumar.mu New Member

Hemant,
    If i have to run those on new distributor, then i have to define the new server as the distributor to the existing publisher. But the existing publisher wont allow that since the old distributor is already set there.
    Do i have to remove the old distributor and add a new one altogether? So, should i start setting up replication from the scratch?
  4. satya Moderator

Yes for any changes to replication meta data you must uninstall the previous and install a new one.