SQL Server Performance

Restoring principal server!

Discussion in 'SQL Server 2005 Database Mirroring' started by AJITH123, May 18, 2008.

1. AJITH123 Member

HI,I have a mirror data base in my UAT machine, where i need to restore a dev database, which has some schema changes and the recors difference. Can any body tell, what are the steps need to follow to restore the priary server database, how do i synchronizethe same ?ThanksAjith
  2. ghemant Moderator

IMO you have to break/stop the mirror for a while and restore database over primary server and restart the mirroring.
  3. AJITH123 Member

Hi Thanks for the reply..
    As per this mail, I understand, just stop the mirror process and restore the primary database and start the mirror process, NO NEED TO RESTORE THE MIRROR DATABASE? I am new to this activity so the question arise :(
    Thnks
    Ajith
  4. ghemant Moderator

it will automatically apply the schema changes to mirror database. You may also used the approach suggested by Satya.
  5. AJITH123 Member

Hi,
    thanks for the reply, i followed the the mathods satya mentioned, however I had to clarify whether it will sync with mirror daya base, opnce we did a change in primary.
    Thanks
    Ajith
  6. satya Moderator

Yes it will as per the database mirroring setup if any change occurs on principal then mirror will also be affected depends upon the mode you are using --- synchronous or asynchronous.
  7. satya Moderator

In any case you need to have these changes on the primary server means you are at risk to lose the data too, so you have to compare the schema changes within the underlying database objects and you can take help of Compare database schemas, synchronize database schemas with SQL ... or http://blogs.msdn.com/gertd/archive/2007/11/21/visual-studio-team-system-2008-database-edition.aspx to perform such changes task.
    In any case the best option is to script the schema for the objects to compare between them and apply in required instances.