SQL Server Performance

Retaining Staff

Discussion in 'EditorsBlog' started by shanetasker, Aug 11, 2008.

1. shanetasker New Member

One of the challenges that many organizations are facing is not just how to recruit staff but more importantly how to retain their existing staff. According to a recent survey by Gartner, over 50% of ICT employees have been employed with their current organization for less than two years. I am sure that if you look around your office there will be a lot of faces that were not there two years ago as well as a lot of missing faces.
    The challenge for employers is identifying what motivates someone to stay in an organization. Even though salaries are higher than ever for database professionals, it is not necessarily money that motivates someone to leave an organization. Sure, an extra $50,000 is motivating but $5,000 may not be a motivating factor. Often $5,000 is not enough of a motivator, as there are potentially additional costs associated with a new work place such as parking costs or the additional cost of public transport. What a lot of people are starting to do is put more value on a role rather than salary alone by including items such as training or working with the latest technology. What motivates you to move employers—is it money alone or are there other factors that influence your decision?
    - Peter Ward
  2. cerebus New Member

For me money is rarely an issue when changing jobs, I've done it three times in 14 years of working, and each time I've moved to a job paying less than the one I was leaving.For me the motivating fator is enhancing my skills in areas that interest and motivate me, so challenging work in a company that is willing to invest in training is more important than money. (Obviously money is not irrelevant, but it is not the most important factor). Another important factor is if the company appears to value their employees, rather than just treating them as another commodity on their way to more and more profit....
  3. bmbele New Member

What a good question. I would like to tell you a short story/joke. There were two thieves stealing gold and busy talking. One of them said, "Brother, I am telling you it is the gold that make the world go around." The other one says "I always thought it was love that makes the world go around", and he replied "Yes, it is the love of Gold that makes the world go around". Often we say with our mouths that it is not money but with our action we clearly point that it is money.I have been with a company for 10 years on my 11th year now. All this time I have been in IT starting from support, DBA, Development and now Software Architect/Development Team leader. The money hasn't been fulfilling as such. Everytime I look at the surveys I see how much I am underpaid but because of the job that I do I stayed. Personally I would says, if you do a job that you love and that is always challenging your capacity then it is worth it to stay money is not everything. But if you start getting bored and you don't have work to do, either you stand up and do something about it (talk to someone or your manager or hr) or get a job that will be more challenging.Peace!!!!
  4. Vaelen New Member

I truly believe that job satisfaction is the most important aspect of a job. If you are happy with the company and the work environment then the amount of money that you earn is not so big a factor. However for some people the size of the salary determines their job staisfaction level. The company i work for gives a free hand when developing, we have no restrictions as to technology, system design, basically anything. That allows me to learn a lot and really be creative in my solutions. As a senior systems architect, i do get paid about 25% less than i should be getting, but i love the work, the people and the company.Have a good one...
  5. zzzbla New Member

I'd like to address another challenge that mixes retaining staff and recruiting staff:Staff you are TRYING to recruit nowadays demand a salary higher than what you give your existing staff; Even if you can agree with the demand, you're in a problem as you give a new employee a higher salary than what you give the guys who've been working for the company for a longer time.How would you deal with that?
  6. dcutting New Member

People stay or leave for many different reasons - there are always those looking for the next big pay check - then there are those looking for the next challenge - or those that are getting out - before the company goes out. How do you keep people - look at what the employee's of your company need or want - and see what you can do to give it to them. You will be surprised that things other than money can and do play a big part. Example - heath benifits, flex time, training, being allowed to move into new positions. As for getting in new staff - make sure they "fit" the current team and the company. Get the wrong person in - and you can drive others out - I have seen just one person that came in - within a couple of months - several long time staff had jumped out to another department or left the comany. As for new staff wanting more money then the current staff - unless you need to - don't publish salary information. Unless you really need that person, keep looking for the one that will "fit" and that is willing to work for what you can pay. Othewise - your current staff will get upset unless you start to bring them up to the same level - and if the have to train and or cover for this person - that will really get them going!