SQL Server Performance

Right Step to enable AWE on Cluster

Discussion in 'SQL Server Clustering' started by LanLan, Feb 9, 2006.

1. LanLan New Member

We have a SQL Cluster box, passive/active. Recently, we plan to upgrade memory to 8G and enable AWE. What's the right procedure to enable AWE? Can I just run following scripts against virtual sever, and all change will be populate the each node

SP_CONFIGURE 'show advanced options', 1
    RECONFIGURE
    GO

SP_CONFIGURE 'awe enabled', 1
    RECONFIGURE
    GO

SP_CONFIGURE 'max server memory', 7144
    RECONFIGURE
    GO

OR since it is a cluster server, I need to run scripts against each instance. Any suggestion?
  2. simondm New Member

If you are active passive I assume you only have one SQL instance installed. You are correct to run the above. You need only do it once. You do not need to run it on each idividual node.

Rememeber you can always run it, failover the cluster and the run sp_configure and view the settings. You will see it still has AWE enabled.

Simon
  3. LanLan New Member

thanks. This is what I want to know.
  4. Mixa New Member

quote:Originally posted by simondm

If you are active passive I assume you only have one SQL instance installed. You are correct to run the above. You need only do it once. You do not need to run it on each idividual node.

Rememeber you can always run it, failover the cluster and the run sp_configure and view the settings. You will see it still has AWE enabled.

Simon

Simon,

What about running cluster with active/active and 2 instance? Thanks both to Lanlan and Simon for the subject and answer.
  5. Argyle New Member

You enable it once for each instance. If you are running active/active and want one node to be able to handle the load from both during a failover then configure the memory so there is enough for both running on a single node.
  6. Mixa New Member

Thank you Argyle!