SQL Server Performance

Rows returned limits

Discussion in 'SQL Server Reporting Services' started by mikecou, Jul 19, 2006.

1. mikecou New Member

What are the limits on the number of rows that can be returned to RS? to the browser? from a data set or stored proc?

I have some stored procs that return upwards of 400,000 rows and the performance of the report is a rather big issue. I know 400k is a lot to return in general but I can't seem to find any documentation on the limits of RS.

Is there a way to force pagination while using a data set this large? Such as every 1000 rows, or does this have to be built into the original stored proc?

thanks
  2. simondm New Member

Reporting Services will page the report for you- the split will be based on your page size in the report properties rather than a set number of rows.

Needless to say - is a user really going to read that many rows of data??

As for limits there are none that I have heard of. Rememeber that reporting services caches the data in it's db - so it needs space here.

Simon
  3. mikecou New Member

I am not in a position to say whether or not that many rows is a good number or not. "That's what the user needs to see."

I know you cna break the pages based on several factors but I guess knowing that I can't break it based on a count of rows is at least one more thing I can't do. Good informationto know.

Where can if find more information on RS caching within its own db? What would I search for?

thanks

mike