SQL Server Performance

SAN Configuration

Discussion in 'SQL Server 2008 General DBA Questions' started by newworld1, Dec 9, 2010.

1. newworld1 New Member

I am in the process of configuring a new SAN for a SQL Server. I am going to use RAID 10 for all raid groups. I have enough drives to do the following:

Tempdb - 4 drive Raid 10
    Logs - 4 drive Raid 10
    Data – 12 drive Raid 10 (will contain the following files:
    primary data file – 46% of all of the IO on server
    secondary file that contains all of the indexes – 33% of all of the IO on server)

I can create a Raid Group (raid 10) with 12 disks that has just one LUN on it. This would contain the data file and the index file. Advantage – many spindles handling the IO of two heavily used SQL files. Disadvantage – Data file (46% of total IO) on server and Index file (33% of total IO) on server will be competing for the same resources.

My other choice is to use 8 disks for one Raid Group (raid 10) that has one LUN on it. The data file would go here. The other 4 disks would be another Raid Group (raid 10) that has one LUN on it that contains the Index file. Advantage – The IO for two heavy utilized SQL files would separate. Disadvantage – Less spindles dedicated to each Raid Group.

I appreciate your input.

2. satya Moderator

Welcome to the forums.
    SOunds good to me in terms of your application is a highly transactional and OLTP based, then RAID10 is all good for performance and underlying indexing would help a lot.