SQL Server Performance

scheduling jobs to run

Discussion in 'SQL Server 2008 Reporting Services' started by jassie, May 3, 2011.

1. jassie New Member

I would like to know all the ways to scheduling standard subscription jobs to run on ssrs 2008 r2. (This would not include a .net application. This may include sql scripts that can be executed.)
    Basically I know if you look at 'SQL Server Reporting Services Site Settings', you will when jobs are scheduled to execute and/or when other jobs ran in the past.
    However, I would like to know if there is another way jobs can be scheduled and not show up on this web display?
    For example when you are on the 'Home Page' for sql server reporting services, and you click on one of the subscriptions scheduled to run and select 'processing options', you can select 'report-specific schedule' or shared schedule? Would you tell me what the difference is between these two options? Why would you 'share a schedule' and how do you setup the connection for 'sharing' the schedule?
  2. satya Moderator

As per the books online:
    In contrast with specific schedules that you define through report, shared dataset, or subscription properties, shared schedules are easier to manage and maintain for the following reasons:
    • Shared schedules can be managed from a central location, making it easier to compare schedule properties and adjust frequency and recurrence patterns if scheduled operations are running too close together or conflicting with other processes on your server.

• Allows you to quickly adapt to changes in the computing environment. For example, suppose you have a set of reports that run at 4:00 A.M. after a data warehouse is refreshed. If the data refresh operation is rescheduled or is delayed, you can easily accommodate that change by updating the schedule information in a single shared schedule.

• If you use only shared schedules, you know precisely when scheduled operations occur. This makes it easier to anticipate and accommodate server loads before performance issues occur. For example, if you decide to schedule computer backups at a specific hour, you can adjust shared schedules to run at different times.