SQL Server Performance

searching for data flow tools

Discussion in 'Third Party Tools' started by jbro, Jun 11, 2007.

1. jbro New Member

I have a large enough set of tables and procedures that I don't want to manually read through all of them, but I'm looking for a tool that will help me understand how data flows through them all. If I have a stored procedure that does this:

insert into Destination (
    pk,
    data
    )
    select pk,
    OtherData
    from Source

I want the output of the tool to tell me that the proc moves data from Source.pk to Destination.pk and Source.OtherData to Destination.data. If there's an intervening temp table or variables that participate in the data flow through the procedures, I need the tool to expose this as well in some way (even if it is just 'the proc moves OtherData from Source to #temp. The proc moves OtherData from #temp to Destination').

I've found tools like Apex that expose the fact that a proc really is dependent on a given column; however, I want to know what the proc does with the column, not merely that it is in use.

Apex is actually as close as I have come to answer in the searching that I have done. I'm confident that this knowledge does exist deep in the query plans of SQL server, but I am extremely hesitant to parse volumes of seemingly highly variable XML. Although I have some dynamic SQL, I will happily completely ignore it for purposes of this question. Anyone have ideas on tools that can help with this problem? Thanks very much for any tips....

Jeremy
  2. dineshasanka Moderator

are u looking for some kind of a documentation tool.
    then check for red-gate

----------------------------------------
    Contributing Editor, Writer & Forums Moderator
    http://www.SQL-Server-Performance.Com

Visit my Blog at
    http://dineshasanka.spaces.live.com/
  3. jbro New Member

Thanks for the feedback. I've downloaded the Red Gate dependency tracker and documentation, and am discussing directly with Red Gate support. I'm not convinced that Red Gate can solve the problem since I am interested in procedures that move data from one column in one table to another table, but their support should be able to clarify.

Any other suggestions, or clarifications I can provide on my problem that would help? Thanks again.

Jeremy