SQL Server Performance

Security Problem

Discussion in 'Analysis Services/Data Warehousing' started by Aviel, Nov 16, 2003.

1. Aviel New Member

Hi there,

I am trying to connect the Analysis server from a client computer but I get the message
    'Unable to connect to the registry on server (SERVER), or you are not a member of OLAP Administrators group on this sevrer.'
    I have administrator permission in that server and i am a member of the OLAP Administrators group both in server and in the client machine. I also have access to the Server's registry when i try to connect it from the client machine. When I work on the Server every thing is OK.
    The Analysis Server runs on Windows 2000 sp 4 and has SQL Server 2000.
    What could be the reason for that ?

Any help ?

Thanks.

Aviel Iluz
    Database Administrator
    Pacific Micromarketing
    Melbourne Australia
    www.pacmicro.com.au
  2. satya Moderator

What is the level of service pack on SQL 2K Analysis service?

_________
    Satya SKJ
    SQL-Server-Performance.Com
  3. thomas New Member

Check out this article:-

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;231951&Product=sql2k

I have the problem you describe on one development server, and I have never been able to sort it out. I can only run cube re-processing when logged in to the desktop of the server, not as a scheduled task or remotely at all. I haven't spent a lot of time trying to fix it because it is not a live server, but I'd like to know if you find the solution to it!

Tom Pullen
    DBA, Oxfam GB
  4. Aviel New Member

Hi Tom,

I have checked the link you gave but no help. I have full Administrator permission in the server but I can't connect from client (which I have Administrator permission as well).

Satya, The analysis server is of version 8.0.760

Thanks all.

Aviel Iluz
    Database Administrator
    Pacific Micromarketing
    Melbourne Australia
    www.pacmicro.com.au
  5. satya Moderator

Check the following also:
    - make sure client is on same SP level as the server
    - server share called msolaprepository$ created on the program filesms analysis servicesin folder
    - check registry for this folder's permissions for the accounts
    - the user connecting must be member of olap administrator group on the server

Finally check this KBAhttp://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=814414 for relevance and fix the issue.

_________
    Satya SKJ
  6. Aviel New Member

Hi Satya,
    All the criteria you specified are met. The link regarding a stage I would wish to be in but it is too far because I can't even connect to the server. I acn't find any reason for that.

Aviel Iluz
    Database Administrator
    Pacific Micromarketing
    Melbourne Australia
    www.pacmicro.com.au
  7. satya Moderator

Are you able to connect from different client?
    How about service pack levels on this client?

_________
    Satya SKJ
  8. stevefromOZ New Member

Hi Aviel,

Have you recently put Sp3a on the AS server? If so, you might want to look at the readme for it again, as it makes a direct reference to this issue. And like Satya has said earlier, after applying SP3a (and Sp3 too i think) you must upgrade all client machines (regardless of whether they are running MSSQL or MSAS) to SP3/a also (look for the PTSFull or PTSLite on the CD).

HTH,

Steve.
  9. satya Moderator

True, in general service packs are meant to apply to clients too.

_________
    Satya SKJ
  10. Irfan Najmi New Member

I don't have msolaprepository$ in my C:program FilesMicrosoft Analysis ServicesBin directory. What can I do to fix it?

Irfan Najmi
  11. stevefromOZ New Member

quote:Originally posted by Irfan Najmi

I don't have msolaprepository$ in my C:program FilesMicrosoft Analysis ServicesBin directory. What can I do to fix it?

Irfan Najmi

The msolaprepository$ is an 'administrative' share in windows, like \stevesmachinec$ is to my root c drive. Check the shares on your machine (Computer Management Console in XP), this share should be created on your machine at install time.

HTH,

Steve
  12. satya Moderator

...or you can search for that in computer.

_________
    Satya SKJ
  13. Irfan Najmi New Member

I searched my local hard drive (C) for msolaprepository$. It return me the result "Item not found".

Irfan Najmi
  14. satya Moderator

The share, named MsOLAPRepository$, is created during the installation of Analysis Server. This share is used by Analysis Manager to perform usage-based optimization on remote and local servers.

Ensure OLAP has been installed properly alongwith latest SP.

_________
    Satya SKJ
  15. BigJimSlade New Member

Ensure you are not trying to submit addtional credentials. There is typicaly a dialog box for user id and password in client apps. This is only needed if you are using the HTTP analysis otherwise leave these blank.

You can also turn on auditing for Analysis services by enabling the auditevents registry key:

Modify the value of HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESOFTWAREMicrosoftOLAP
    ServerCurrentVersionAnditEvents to 15 (Dec), the default value is 13
    (Dec).

this will log login attempts to the event log