SQL Server Performance

See It for Yourself

Discussion in 'EditorsBlog' started by shanetasker, Jan 13, 2009.

1. shanetasker New Member

I once read a story about a Senior Manager at Toyota who would often pay a surprise visit to the numerous car manufacturing plants around the world and force all the senior management team from their offices onto the production floor. He would use this opportunity to find somewhere from where the operations of the plant could be observed and draw a chalk circle on the floor. He would then have the senior management team stand in this location for half a day. This activity was designed to take the management team out of their offices onto the plant floor to see what was really happening. It was a strategy that was designed to identify and resolve the problems identified whilst standing in the circle.
    As a consultant I often get an opportunity to talk face to face with people who are experiencing problems and observe the situation. I am frequently amazed at how much people put up with before they complain. They often do not report something unless productivity is severely affected. Often face time is a great way to understand what the impact of a system not performing is on the people that are using it. When was the last time you spent time looking at how the users use the system that you support?
    - Peter Ward
  2. JJeffreySchwartz New Member

I ALWAYS contact the end user for systems that I am fixing or creating - and the amazing part is that MOST of what they do - is "busy work" - it generally gets in the way of what they are supposed to be doing. I am constantly amazed at how much a single new system - can reduce employee workload - simply by a little re-arrangement - not in WHAT they do but HOW and WHEN they do it!! One company used 4 people to update a 4 million customer mailing list – and they were constantly having dead locks! I was told – this was OK – it COULD NOT be avoided – “nature of the beast” I was told!! I simply sorted the mailing list by customer name – so the same person ALWAYS updated the same customer - and the dead locks went away - COMPLETELY!!! The “beast” was dead!