SQL Server Performance

Server performance slow after replication...

Discussion in 'SQL Server 2005 Replication' started by gcetti, Jun 30, 2008.

1. gcetti New Member

Hello,
    We have a database that we run on our server, and have now added merge replication. We have not had any performance issues on our database until the replication was implemented. The subscribers running the database have no problems, but any workstation accessing the server database has major performance issues.
    Something as simple as an Update statement to set a column for one record (based an indexed field) ends up timing out after a couple of minutes. This is a statement that executes instantaneosly before replication was setup.
    We've run some traces to compare what happens pre-replication and post replication, and have done things like disable the sql replication alerts, with no success.
    Can anyone suggest tips/tricks that would affect database performance on the server related to replication? We've gone through the process of optimizing our db for our application before the replication, so I dont think its indexes, more what the replication is doing, since its more related to insert/updates and not select statements.
    Thanks for any help,
    Greg
  2. MohammedU New Member

I don't think adding merge replication would cause this kind perfomance issue.
    Did you check any blocking on the server? what type of waits during this timeout period....
  3. satya Moderator

Is this a upgraded database from 2000 to 2005 version?
  4. gcetti New Member

I think we narrowed this down but I'm not sure I understand - we had our publication setup w/all of our tables (primary & surrogate) and had included a filter w/inner joins.
    Due to issues w/our business logic layer we had to break up the publication to multiple publications, the first containing the primary table, and the second the surrogates. Since we've made that change we havent seen any issue. But we can recreated w/a publication with all in one.
  5. satya Moderator

How about index optimization on the newly created table publications?