SQL Server Performance

Server reboot

Discussion in 'Windows Server Forum' started by WingSzeto, Apr 4, 2011.

1. WingSzeto Member

I applied windows update to our SQL 2008 server computer on a windows 2008 64 bit server and the update hung. This is the very first time and I have applied numerious updates in the past 2 years. When I tried the reboot, it didn't happen and I couldn't remote desktop into the computer anymore after. I waited for another 15 minutes and still nothing happened. I use SQL management tool from another computer to check this computer status and SQL server was still running as normal so I thought I would get back to it next morning. Well, the system rebooted 17 hours later. The key events are shown below.
    @5:11:43 am: The process Explorer.EXE has initiated the restart of computer xxxxxxx on behalf of user DomainSoAndSo for the following reason: Other (Planned)
    Reason Code: 0x85000000
    Shutdown Type: restart
    Comment: wu
    @5:11:44 am: The process C:Windowssystem32winlogon.exe (xxxxxxxxxx) has initiated the restart of computer xxxxxxx on behalf of user DomainSoAndSo for the following reason: No title for this reason could be found
    Reason Code: 0x500ff
    Shutdown Type: restart
    @9:11:46 pm : The Windows Update service did not shut down properly after receiving a preshutdown control"
    @9:11:46 pm : The Group Policy Client service entered the stopped state.
    @10:11:46 pm: The Windows Modules Installer service did not shut down properly after receiving a preshutdown control.
    @10:11:46 pm: The Application Quiesce Agent service entered the stopped state.
    @10:11:49 pm: The Event log service was stopped.
    Although this is not a SQL question, I like to know if anyone experience this windows update and reboot problem in any SQL environment. I am also intereted in knowing if there is a reboot timer like16 hours and than 1 hour later after the initial failed reboot.. I know windows update will remind you in a preset interval for reboot but it won't actually reboot the server. The auto-reboot after update is set to off in our servers.
    W
  2. satya Moderator

The first question I will put forward is, have you tested this WINDOWS UPDATE in test/dev. platform first?
    If not you are risking the availability of your production environment.
    Do you have the Microsoft supprot contract agreement with your company?
    if so it is best to raise a support case (priority 1) to see why this windows update has caused such a problem. Your guess is right that this is not a SQL related problem, more like windows update & OS related issue.
  3. ingebolk New Member

Rebooting on a Windows Update is deadly ....
  4. Luis Martin Moderator

Ingebolk.
    Welcome to the forums!.
    BTW: Please always check thread date. This one is to old.
    Thanks.