SQL Server Performance

Server upgrade

Discussion in 'Performance Tuning for Hardware Configurations' started by okvan, Nov 27, 2007.

1. okvan New Member

Dear AllI am planning to upgrade our system as below.Please advise your idea.Because budget not too much. I only have USD3,000-Database : 6GConcurrent user : 100O/S : Win2003 Ent. (SQL2000 Std)Existing Hardware2 x XEON 2.8G (After HT is 4 CPU)4GB RAM (DDR-I)3x 73G U320 HDD (10000rpm)Adaptec 29320R SCSI PCI-X ( Raid1 + Spare )I would like to upgrade to1 x Intel Quad Core Q66004GB RAM (DDR-II)73G U320 HDD (10000rpm)Adaptec 2130SP (Raid1 + Spare )Anyone know the performance will increase or not?and how about the new system performance?Thank you very much
  2. bradmcgehee New Member

This is very tough to answer, because it depends on a lot of things we don't know.
    If your server is experiencing performance issues, new hardware might help, or it might not. It really depends on what performance issues you are having and what is causing them. What you need to do now is to determine where your hardware bottlenecks are (CPU, memory, IO, etc.) and based on this infomation, make an educated choice what where your hardware needs to be boosted. You may also find that your performance problems are not hardware related, and because of this, new hardware won't help performance. Oftentimes, there are other issues, besides hardware, that negatively affect SQL Server performance.