SQL Server Performance

Service Pack 4 Exact permissions required

Discussion in 'SQL Server 2005 General DBA Questions' started by Trev256b, Sep 29, 2011.

1. Trev256b Member

I have tried to install SQL Server 2005 service pack 4 using an account (which was given local administrator rights) however a group policy has not given me the exact permissions required.

What are the exact (minimum) permissions the account needs to successfully install SQL Server 2005 service pack 4? (BOL and SP4 readme files don't list this as far as I can see.)
  2. satya Moderator

In any case to imply the Service Pack patch which is nothing but uninstall and reinstall of certaing program components, the account needs local ADMIN privileges on the server.
  3. Trev256b Member

do you need any specific local security permissions? I have tried a loacl admin account and suspect there is something wrong with this. i was wondering if there is anything else that needs to be considered.
  4. satya Moderator

If the login is a local admin on the SQL Server instance then it should be sufficient to apply the patch, btw what kind of error/issues you are getting here?