SQL Server Performance

Setting up SQL Server 2008

Discussion in 'SQL Server 2008 General DBA Questions' started by Michael Kansky, Sep 20, 2011.

1. Michael Kansky New Member

Just couple of questions:
    1. Is there anything at all from SQL Server files perspective that i may safely host on C (OS) drive without compromising performance?
    2. I have secondary drive which is 6 x 162 GB Solid State drives raid 10 and producing about 300gb of usable storage. Since it is a solid state drive (no spinning) would it be safe to host DB and Log files on the same drive without any performance impact?
  2. preethi Member

1. You can't safely place files in Windows directory without compromising performance. Performance becomes an issue only when you reach a bottleneck (Some operation at the same time against another will cause performance issue), but it is based on the frequency and price you make the decision. If your OS didn't write anything to page file at the time you were accessing data files, if you have enough memory and processing power that you can reduce disk activity to a level where you never face a disk bottleneck you can proceed. ;) I doubt you faced it.
    2. Even if it is configured as one disk, I prefer it to be partitioned into at least 2 LUNs. At times I have seen/heard that OS creates a queue (bottle neck) if it sees only one disk. It could be because of the locking releasing mechanism OS has employed.
    These are just a learner's comments. Wait for experts' advice.
  3. Luis Martin Moderator

Welcome to the forums!
    Is SQL dedicated?
  4. Michael Kansky New Member

Yes it is dedicated box
  5. satya Moderator

It depends on how frequently data is written/read in this case, you are fortunate to get SSDs, within my experience what I've seen is SSD are good for raw performance, SSDs offer many advantages, the main one being that the seek time is effectively 0, which means all the small HD hits a database does are handled much faster.. a good article from Anandtech on SSDs and also http://research.microsoft.com/en-us/um/people/antr/ms/ssd.pdf link too.

Bottom line if the queries are tuned enough to tackle the data activitieis you don't need high-end spec hardware...