SQL Server Performance

Shipped Too Early?

Discussion in 'EditorsBlog' started by shanetasker, Oct 22, 2008.

1. shanetasker New Member

I don't like to be negative, but a lot of people are starting to ask questions about whether the SQL Server development team dropped the ball with SQL Server 2008. First up there was the issue with SQL Server 2008 being released several days before Visual Studio 2008 Service Pack 1 and the release of SQL Server 2008 with the critical MERGE bug. Then there is the fact that Report Builder 2.0 that was released in the last few days was released over two months after SQL Server 2008. However, even the new release of Report Builder appears to be a release that was pushed out the door. Instead of being a click-one application that can be launched from Report Manager, Report Builder 2.0 needs to be deployed to each workstation that will be using it.
    I am sure that there are various reason that products are released when they are not feature complete, but I have heard murmurs starting to surface that often start with the words 'Half Backed'. After the long delay between SQL Server 2000 and 2005 I am sure that there was a great deal of pressure to stick to the release schedule after already slipping. Do you think that SQL Server 2008 was shipped too early and are you holding off deployment as a result?
    - Peter Ward
  2. jadoon New Member

SQL Server 2005 was with major changes over SQL Server 2000. It gained the market for Microsoft in field of databases. I wounder why Microsoft launched SQL Server 2008 in panic mode. What ever the reason behind this panic release it has negative impact and promotes the some odd considerations about Microsoft.
  3. jerryhung New Member

I agreeSQL 2005 releases were "fun" enough already, best example is the SSRS multi-select feature, came with RTM, removed in SP1, added back in SP2, and we don't know when SP3 will come outThere were a lot of CU's as well, I don't even know which version is what now... :pBut SQL 2008 being a "better SQL 2005", it wasn't easy for the install pre-requisite either. RC0 wanted .Net 3.5 SP1/VS2008 SP1 Beta, RTM wanted .Net 3.5 SP1 and VS2008 SP1And the MERGE bug (gladly not jumping to MERGE too quickly)But I am quite happy with SSMS 2008 though