SQL Server Performance

should i use Replication? Mirroring? Or other.....

Discussion in 'SQL Server 2005 Replication' started by alexjamesbrown, Aug 6, 2009.

1. alexjamesbrown New Member

We have a large ecommerce application.
    The product inventory, order workflow etc... is handled by Navision (http://www.microsoft.com/dynamics/en/us/products/nav-overview.aspx)

This is great, as it takes away the pain of product tables etc...

We currently have Navision running on an internal server, with an internal database.
    This database then replicates certain tables to another server, accessible by our web application

This data is only required on the other database to reduce latency.
    I was just wondering if there was a better way of doing it? Mirroring perhaps?
    On the second database, the tables only need to be read only. is this possible?
  2. preethi Member

Mirroring while allows the data to be copied to another server, it locks the mirror database. It cannot be accessed unless the primary goes down.
    Replication, allows the data to be used by your web application. If you are not giving any functionality to modify data, you can keep the data "read only" as far as the applciation is concerned.
    There is also another solution - "Log shipping" It generally has more latency and keeps the secondary database read only. Also, log shipping mechanism locks the secondary database exclusively when it applying the logs
    Based on the facts, I feel that replication is the best mechanism for you.