SQL Server Performance

Should we still use separate tempdb files when on VMWare?

Discussion in 'ALL SQL SERVER QUESTIONS' started by Trev256b, Jul 26, 2014.

1. Trev256b Member

Hi - I met a DBA once who said you should only use one tempdb file when a server is on VMware, but he didn't want to say why - I suspect he didn't know the answer and was just guessing or just covering up for lack of knowledge.
    However, after speaking to a VMware expert it looks like the usual advice to use separate files for tempdb apply and it is advised to use separate tempdb files when the SQL Server is on VMware.

1) Can anyone confirm are separte tempdb files on VMware best practise?
    Thanks
  2. Luis Martin Moderator

And what do you think?
  3. Trev256b Member

Well Luis as I mentioned as the Dba didn't provide an explanation and the vmware guy did it looks like using separate tempdb files is best practise on vmware. However I never like to overlook anyones advice even if they don't provide an explanation and I cant find any specific advice on google. Do you have any idea? If so what is your explanation? I trust the dba but usuallyshe doesnt have time to explain. If you have time to explain any ideas ypu have this would be great. Be careful though as it looks like you are living my life and asking the same question. Dont tell steve jobs! ;)
  4. Luis Martin Moderator

Before VMware the recommendations always was: one tempdb for each physical processor.
    When you have VMware there is some processor and memory to your sql and some for other OS or application. Now what about disks?. Suppose you have one physical disk for sql. To me there is no big difference between one server to your sql or some hardware using VMware for your sql, from the tempdb point of view. Still the idea 1 tempdb for each physical processor should be the best idea.
    HTH.
  5. Trev256b Member

Thanks Luis. Unfortunately most of the online content suggests tempdb should have more than one file without vmware
    Eg. Paul Randals blog on common myths. Therefore if you are right and disks are the same on vmware for tempdb then miltiple files looks like the best practise.
    If ypu have time please provide in depth technical explanation why tempdb would be the same for disks on vmware and not.
    Many thanks
  6. Trev256b Member

OK - looks like multiple files are best practice. Nobody has provided any technical detail or reasons to disagree with the online recommendations. Luis - hope this helps you understand VM more. let me know if you have any other queries or don't know any other points as I'm happy to help you out and find the answer for you. :)