SQL Server Performance

SINGLE user mode denied access

Discussion in 'SQL Server Clustering' started by jsciii, Aug 15, 2007.

1. jsciii New Member

I have a named instance running on a cluster. The cluster service uses one account and the SQL service uses another.
    When I put the instance into single user mode (-m). I cannot connect to the instance with the cluster account and if I use the SQL service account the instance is constantly up and down due to the cluster account not having access.
    The error I get is ACCOUNT FAILED TO LOG ON. IN SINGLE USER MODE. ONLY ONE ADMINISTRATOR CAN CONNECT AT THIS TIME
    What account should I use? Why does the cluster account not connect? Is the SQL Service account grabbing the connection? How can I use the SQL service account if the Cluster account needs access?
    I am trying to move the system databases to another drive following the http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;q224071 article but it doesn't talk about clustered instances.
    Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    JohnC
  2. MohammedU New Member

When you start sql server in single user mode only one user can connect....who ever gets the first connection...
    Why are you starting sql server in single user mode? is there any maintenance or requirement.?
    If the cluster service account is not member of local admin group then make you add the add the cluster service account as sql server login and grant the access...using sp_grantlogin procedure...or EM...
  3. satya Moderator

This is because CLuster admin will already connect to check status of that instances (ISALIVE), so you have to clear about why single-user mode is required here.
  4. jsciii New Member

Thanks for the input.
    I need to move the System databases to another drive and per MS KB article I have to put the instance in single user mode in order to move the MODEL and MSDB databases.
    Is there a better way to move system databases to another drive on a cluster?
    I remoted into the server as the cluster service account, placed the instance in single user mode and am still getting denied access due to an ADMIN already logged in. Is there a way I can tell who is logged into the server?
  5. satya Moderator