SQL Server Performance

Site update

Discussion in 'Forum Announcements' started by ndinakar, Jul 30, 2007.

1. ndinakar Member

I made 2 posts here yesterday, set up my prifle. Both posts gone. I had to "reset" my pwd again and re-setup my profile.
    Anyways, congratulations to Jude on the migration to CS. Good job.
    I will try to remember what I posted yesterday.
    (1) There is a lot of white space to the left/right that is wasted. Most users (especially the ones that come to our site) have higher resolution of 1064 (did I get that right?) so there is almost 3-4 inches of white space on either side that is wasted. Check here to see what I mean: http://forums.asp.net/54.aspx
    (2) Also at the link above, the view of the posts is different. We can see original post information, latest reply, number of views etc. In ours the latest post info overrides the original posters info. The view on the other side gives more information as to who was the original poster and how many replies were made and whose was the latest reply.
    (3) Another thing to note is resolution of the issue. They have images to mark an issue as resolved, unresolved etc. They are based on CS too.
    Any thoughts on if we can get those items Jude?
  2. ndinakar Member

Btw, how do I get the MVP logo? :d
    Another thing I just saw, the images in Satya's signature are too big.
  3. satya Moderator

Sounds good on the suggestions side.
    I have emailed you to get that MVP logo on the signature (use the one from my site), the SSP signature has been made up by myself. I have left default settings on the images and will try to reduce what it fits.
  4. Adriaan New Member

I kind of miss the old breakdown on the Active Topics - it was much easier to ignore stuff there.
    And can't we have a short preview of the first and last posts on a thread?
  5. satya Moderator

6. Adriaan New Member

The shortcut to the Active topics should be displayed on all forum pages - now you either have to step back through pages (which can be slow) or go to the Favorites menu. Either way it's too much 'work'.
    And like I said, the nice thing about the old Active Topics page was that it was organized into sections, so it was easy to ignore certain threads. Of course the rotten thing was that there were too many sections. Perhaps the old sections, but not sudivided by SQL version?
  7. satya Moderator

This point has been raised by me earlier and Jude is looking to fix it as soon as the initial teething problems are resolved, also we are in process to consolidate the forum sections to make more user-visible base.
  8. admin Guest

Thanks for the suggestions, yes I am going to try add an Active Topics link to all pages, will try have that up by the weekend.
    Dinakar - sorry you lost a couple of posts. The site crashed on Sunday and we lost some data, apologies for that. But to answer you question, right now the site is designed for 1024 width screens (if you resize your window to this SSP should fit nicely in that). Currently over 60% of visitors have 1024 widths. In terms of the stats on pages I will look at adding some more info - but it is a trade off between adding new info and cluttering the page, will show you folks some test pages to see what you think.
  9. ndinakar Member

Thanks for looking into it. I kept checking every day to see if these posts are still there :)
    What I meant by the resolution was primarily about the space being wasted on either side of the content. Right now it looks like a Costco bill - thin long column of content. We just need to stretch the content increasing their width.
  10. Adriaan New Member

I don't think the text column should get any wider - as the lines get too long it becomes harder to read.
  11. ndinakar Member

12. admin Guest

If you resize your window to the most common width for site users (1024 pixels) there should be no white space on either side.
    There are two way to go for site width, fixed or liquid. Seems that most Web 2.0 sites are fixed width these days as expanding the content over a wide screen can make it harder to read. I went for a fixed width, but I know it won't be to everybody's taste.
  13. ndinakar Member

I actually have 1600 x 1200 resolution.
  14. satya Moderator

I second Dinakar's suggestion in keeping the text to full screen or however you maximize as per the asp.net link.
    Also simiar fashion of having the icons on side without having list of lines for signature...
    I believe it can be achieved with a code modification and .css files in CS, probably Jude has to add this to list of things to fine tune the appearance of this site.
    [quote user="ndinakar"]
    The red blocks on either side is a lot of space. Check here how ASP.NET forums that uses the same CS software doesnt have any white margins: http://forums.asp.net/54.aspx
    [/quote]