SQL Server Performance

slow databases

Discussion in 'SQL Server 2005 General DBA Questions' started by sigi9009, Jan 16, 2008.

1. sigi9009 New Member

hallo people,
    our costumers which are using web applications gave us information that our DBes have slow responses. i wannt to trace one specific database.
    for me its strictly forbidden to use to use sql profiler or something like this because it takes to much performance while running.
    so i can only use winsrv 2003 perfmon.
    has anyone a good suggestion which objects an indicators to use if i want to trace one db in my case?

thanks for reply

2. martins New Member

I wouldn't necessarily start with perfmon if I were you. Rather start with the queries executing within that database...hopefully the applications are using stored procs in which case it would be easy to take those procs and check their execution plans. If the applications are not executing stored procs, then I am afraid it might be difficult to get down to the source of the problem without running a trace. Perfmon will give you valuable information, but without knowing the queries that are executed against the database it will be tough.
    Another question to answer is when last fragmentation was checked and statistics updated. Bad performance could be a direct result of administration tasks being neglected.
  3. Luis Martin Moderator

If you run Profiler in one WS, no server, and filter by CPU or Duration and Database ID, don't impact performance.