SQL Server Performance

slow upload of SSRS from .net

Discussion in 'SQL Server 2005 Reporting Services' started by arkiboys, Jan 14, 2008.

1. arkiboys Member

Hi,
    In a .net application there is a link that brings up a SSRS report.
    I have noticed that if it is the first time this report is requested i.e. Application has just been opened and the report button is clicked, then it takes a while to get this report to appear on the screen. But if this report is requested again (i.e. for the second time or more) then it only takes a few moments for the report to appear on the screen.
    So it seems that only the first time the report is requested it takes a longer time to get this report. Is there a way to reduce this initial load of the report?
    Thanks
  2. satya Moderator

What sort of actions you are performing on the report?
    If you don’t need data in your report, don’t retrieve it. Levering database operations such as filtering, grouping, and aggregates can reduce the amount of data that is processed in the report, improving performance.
    Say If performance is extremely bad even for single users, check the Application Restarts counter in the ASP.NET category; some antivirus software is known to “touch” configuration files, thus causing expansive Application Domain restarts in the report server web service. For more information, search http://support.microsoft.com/ for articles relating to “antivirus and ASP.NET”.
    If performance is slow on the first web service access after there have not been any accesses for a certain time period, disable the idle timeout on the performance tab in the Application Pool in IIS Manager.