SQL Server Performance

Smart way to group databases in SSMS needed

Discussion in 'SQL Server 2008 General DBA Questions' started by rodneyclark, Dec 4, 2010.

1. rodneyclark New Member

Hi,My question comes from the frustration that I have every time I launch SSMS. I have a few hundred of different databases in one server instance, from different projects and customers, and having them in one long flat tree view just does not feel very ergonomic to me.Is there any smart way to keep databases more organized? I thought, that for example being able to group them in custom folders would be a nice solution, but as far as I know, SSMS does not support it. Unfortunately... And I just NEVER seem to remember the name of THIS particular database for THAT particular customer. Not to mention the pain of working with multiple databases from different customers at the same time.Being able to group stored procedures in a similar way would be a nice added value, but I'd be more than happy with being able to group databases only. Any hints would be very appreciated.
  2. Luis Martin Moderator

About organize databases in different folder is easy to do that. One way is: backup database, create those folders and restore database into those folders.
    But, really, I think you have to reorganize everything, beginning with customers.
  3. rodneyclark New Member

But there is no way to create custom folders in SSMS, Object Explorer. Or is it?
  4. rodneyclark New Member

Nevermind. I have found a solution at www.skilledsoftware.comThanks.
  5. Jakub Dvorak New Member

6. FrankKalis Moderator

Thanks for that! Looks interesting. Any idea when support for SQL Server 2005/2008 will be added?
  7. Jakub Dvorak New Member

SQL Server 2005/2008 server is already supported, but 2005 and 2008 client tools will be later because object model behavior in dramatically different throughout SSMS versions - it means almost new add-in :( But something like september/october?
    Jakub
  8. FrankKalis Moderator

Yes, sorry wasn't precise. I meant the Client Tools. I know it's a pain because so much has changed between these two versions when you try to write an add-in. :(
  9. dineshasanka Moderator

You can do this in , Registered Server option in SSMS
  10. Jakub Dvorak New Member

Hi dineshasanka,

Do you really mean same thing - grouping databases or other objects under folders? I mean feature like here or here.
    Don't tell me it is possible with some built-in feature because I've spent a lot of my spare time developing this add-in :)

Jakub